Top 10 Things to Do in Abu Dhabi with Kids
14 June 2018
Only a short flight from South Africa, this emirate makes for a unique and thrilling holiday destination with kids. Pick from world-class theme parks, activity parks and water parks, desert excursions and incredible wildlife sightings – all in a setting of near-constant sun shining down on pristine beaches. We’ve shared our top picks for the best activities to do during your family holiday in Abu Dhabi.
- Head out on a desert safari Abu Dhabi’s surrounding dunes were one of the main filming locations for Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. Options vary by age but can include quad-biking, camel trekking and camel farm visits, dune-bashing, sandboarding and even spending the night in a Bedouin tent.
- Ride the world’s fastest rollercoaster, Formula Rossa, at Ferrari World theme park. After hurtling along at a speed of up to 240km/h (150mph), you can also experience the world’s highest rollercoaster loop courtesy of the Flying Aces ride.
- With younger kids in tow, head for long-established Hili Fun City with its old-school rides including dodgems, mini-trains and a carousel.
- Go wild at Wadi Adventure, a man-made white-water rafting, kayaking, wakeboarding surfing venue worthy of a day’s fun. Also on-site is a giant swing, a high-ropes course and a climbing wall.
- Cool off at Yas Waterworld, where more than 40 rides, slides and attractions, from a tots’ aqua playground to drop slides, mean fun for all ages. You can even surf and bodyboard here. For an alternative with younger kids, try Murjan Splash Park.
- Go wildlife-spotting on the nature reserve of Sir Bani Yas Island, where the Arabian Wildlife Park breeds and rehabilitates animals at risk of extinction, including hyrax, ostrich, oryx, giraffes and hyenas. Guided nature and wildlife drives and walks, horse-riding and mountain-biking are all good ways to discover this spot.
- Visit the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital, a veterinary facility where you can see birds being treated, tour a museum and watch free-flight displays, all giving you an insight into the traditional Emirate sport of falconry.
- Take a guided tour of the mighty Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Even kids can’t fail to be impressed by its 82 domes, 1,048 columns and chandeliers gilded by 24-carat gold.
- Shop ’til you drop in Yas Mall, or head for the kids’ attractions. There’s Fun Works with its adventure rides, soft play, toddler playgrounds, Softair Battlezone and Lego: Pop-in and Play.
- Go for a bike ride along the Corniche. This 8km stretch of waterfront includes a beach park with play areas and plenty of cafés and restaurants at which to refuel.
Why not discover Abu Dhabi for yourself...
To find out more and to book your family holiday in Abu Dhabi, get in touch with your Travel Counsellor today.