Discover Hurtigruten – leaders in sustainable travel
11 July 2019
Committed to sustainable travel, Hurtigruten operate in some of the world’s most pristine and vulnerable landscapes. This responsibility is taken seriously, which is why Hurtigruten educate guests on how to reduce their environmental footprint.
Building on their passion, competence and heritage, Hurtigruten are determined to make a difference. This is why, when you book your expedition cruise with Hurtigruten, you’ll always experience the highest levels of environmental awareness.
Pioneers in sustainable travel
Hurtigruten are proud to be pioneers in sustainability and are always looking for ways to minimise their impact on the natural environment. To this effect, the world leader in exploration travel have implemented a wealth of different energy saving measures since 2009.
Here are just some of the ways that Hurtigruten are working towards their on-going commitment to responsible tourism
- Having witnessed the harm that plastic waste has on nature and wildlife, Hurtigruten are the first cruise company in the world to remove all unnecessary single-use plastic, such as straws and plastic cups, across their entire fleet. Their goal is to become the world’s first plastic-free shipping company, which they are well on their way to achieving.
- Investing in creating the explorer ships of tomorrow, Hurtigruten are setting new standards in sustainable ocean travel, with their cutting-edge expedition vessels, MS Roald Amundsen and MS Fridtjof Nansen set to be the first ships ever to sail with all-electric hybrid technology. These new ships will also reduce fuel consumption by up to 20%, and for the first time, fully electric propulsion on a passenger ship will be possible.
- The use of polluting and toxic heavy fuel has been banned.
- Hurtigruten have a longstanding history of participating in research projects in different waters, including logging seawater temperature along the Norwegian coast and taking part in voluntary beach clean-ups.
- Through science, research and education, Hurtigruten and their guests contribute directly to increasing understanding and preserving animal life.
- Hurtigruten are committed to contributing to the livelihood and welfare of small coastal societies, by sourcing as much fresh produce from local suppliers as possible. These suppliers are held to standards of high sustainability and animal ethics standards.
- Hurtigruten aim to educate their guests on every voyage, through actively engaging them in the culture, ecosystems and the consequences of climate change in each fascinating destination.
To book your eco-friendly voyage with Hurtigruten, contact your Travel Counsellor today and take advantage of a range of benefits including full financial protection and a 24-hour duty office ready to assist you before, during and after your stay.