55 travel resolutions for 2017
09 January 2017
Fad diets and new regimes begone - 2017 is a year for exploring!
Instead of resolutions, make a list of the things you'd love to see, do and eat in 2017.
If you’re hoping to learn a new skill, why not combine it with a trip to a country you’ve never visited before and explore while you’re there? If you’re hoping to get into shape, try starting your health-kick with a trip to a yoga retreat.
Whatever your travel resolutions for 2017, read on to discover some of the exciting things we’re hoping to do…
- Visit one (or more!) of the New Seven Wonders of the World. The list includes: The Great Wall of China; The Colosseum in Rome, Italy; Petra, Jordan; Machu Picchu, Peru; Chichén Itzá, Mexico; Taj Mahal, India; Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Scare yourself silly on a roller coaster ride. Wherever you decide to visit on holiday, try adding a day trip into a theme park to your itinerary.
- Go on a railway journey. Slow down and enjoy the magnificent scenery and exquisite experience of a luxury train journey. Itineraries to try? A steam train trip in the UK with Belmond British Pullman, the Canadian Rockies on the Rocky Mountaineer, and Australia on The Ghan.
- See an endangered species in the wild. Mountain gorillas in Uganda, hawksbill turtles, and tigers in India are just three species close to extinction.
- Climb a mountain. Pull on your boots, get your daypacks ready and step up, up, up. Popular locations include Mont Blanc in France, Half Dome in Yosemite National Park in California, USA, and Nepal. No matter if you don’t make it anywhere near the top – simply being there counts!See an ancient ruin.
- Explore Mayan ruins at Tulum or Chichén Itzá in Mexico. Wander around Roman ruins in Italy or Greek monoliths in Greece. Or, why not gaze at the fascinating Terracotta Warriors in China?
- Eat a home-made picnic in the park. Hyde Park in London, Central Park in New York City, the Royal Botanic Gardens…wherever you travel to in 2017, don’t miss a visit to a glorious green space.
- Go bird watching. There’s really nothing quite as exhilarating as the moment you finally spot that feathered friend flying past. Birdwatchers will be delighted with trips to Monteverde (Costa
Rica), the Galapagos Islands, and Norfolk (England).
- Try a cruise. Whether you float past cultural marvels or voyage across the seven seas, set sail and experience life aboard a vessel.
- Visit Merida in Spain for the excellent Roman ruins and the Parque Nacional de Monfrague, a dramatic gorge abundant with birdlife.
- Walk on Florida’s Emerald Coast. This 100-mile stretch of sugar-fine sand and beachfront lies on Florida’s once forgotten north-eastern coast.
- Spot the Big Five in South Africa or look out for elephants in Botswana.
- See blue-footed boobies, Galápagos tortoises, Galápagos penguins and many, many more fascinating species on the incredible Galápagos Islands.
- Visit Barcelona, Spain. Spectacular architecture, fabulous food, culture galore - and a beach!
- Hike or horse ride in Montana. Make your way through wide open spaces, seemingly endless blue skies and meadows filled with wildflowers.
- Experience life on a private island. Pack your suitcase and head to Bawah Private Island. Nestled a mere 150 nautical miles north of Singapore, expect glorious beaches, jungle and a maximum of 70 guests at any one time.
- Say “hello” to some of your favourite childhood cartoon characters at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. You’re never too old to be surprised at how much fun it is to have your photo taken with a certain mouse!
- Go on an adventure with your family. You might head to exotic far flung shores or spend a weekend closer to home, but gather everyone up and spend time together.
- Get back to nature and explore the great outdoors. Plan to do at least one walk in the countryside on your next trip away.
- Master a new skill in a foreign country. Whatever you’d like to learn, chances are you can find a holiday to fit around it! Take a cookery class in Thailand. Learn how to taste wine in New Zealand. Study Spanish (and Tango) in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Take up scuba diving in Belize.
- Step onto the dazzling sands of the Trang Islands, Thailand. Turquoise waters and bright white sands make for a stunning beach holiday.
- Visit Churchill in Canada to see polar bears in the wild as they migrate towards the ice after the summer thaw.
- Eat a local delicacy.
- See an ancient ruin. Explore Mayan ruins at Tulum or Chichén Itzá in Mexico. Wander around Roman ruins in Italy or Greek monoliths in Greece. Or, why not gaze at the fascinating Terracotta Warriors in China?
- Read one travel book for every destination you visit. Or, choose a novel set in your destination.
- Take more travel photos – print out at least one photo from each day (even if it’s you on the plan) and make an photo album
- Walk, walk, walk. If you’re looking for more of an organised walk that you can conquer over time, try Camino de Santiago.
- Pack up the car and head off on a road trip. Roll the windows down and drive the Big Sur in California or Route 66 across the USA.
- Watch the sunset…
- …And watch the sunrise.
- Marvel at the explosion of colour as fireworks ring in the New Year in Sydney, London, New York – or try Funchal, Madeira’s capital, which hosts the world’s largest fireworks show.
- Try a new sport or go to a game. Try kayaking or paddle boarding, learn to horse ride or join in a spot of beach volleyball in Brazil. Prefer to watch rather than play? Catch a local game of baseball, ice hockey, basketball, or even a polo match.
- Create a travel scrapbook or photo frame using your travel memorabilia – much better than it being left in a drawer!
- Travel to a country you’ve never visited.
- Go on an adventure in your home country.
- Travel in the spring to see the flowers bloom. See the exquisite, pale pink cherry blossom in Japan in April or wander through blankets of bluebells in forests in the UK.
- Stamp through red, orange and gold Autumn leaves in New England in the “Fall”, USA.
- Visit somewhere snowy. And don’t forget to learn to ski/ice-skate/snow-shoe!
- Spend at least one summer day building sandcastles on a local beach!
- Explore a new city with a city break. Whether that’s a city a few hours’ away by plane or train, or on the other side of the globe, be a tourist and tick off all of the sights.
- Decide on your dream travel destination and start making plans to visit, either in 2017 or 2018.
- Experience a festival. St Patrick’s Day in Ireland, La Tomatina in Spain, Dia de los Muertos in Mexico, Carnival in Rio…there are plenty to choose from!
- Try a health and wellbeing retreat to recharge your batteries. From weekend spa breaks near you to the luxurious Ananda in the Himalayas to The BodyHoliday in St. Lucia, spend a little time pampering yourself.
- Explore an art gallery or museum. Seek one out wherever you head to. Need a few ideas to start with? The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The Louvre in Paris. Tate Modern in London. The Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- Go wine tasting. In the USA, try Santa Barbara, Napa Valley or Oregon. In New Zealand, try the Marlborough region. In Australia, try Margaret River. In Argentina, try Mendoza.
- Spot fish swimming beneath you as you scuba dive, snorkel, or paddle board through turquoise waters.
- Explore the rainforest.
- See an active volcano. Jet off to Costa Rica and gaze up at the giant Arenal Volcano.
- Marvel at the blue-white glow of a glacier in Canada, Antarctica or Chile.
- Visit a waterfall – Niagara Falls, Iguacu Falls, Yosemite National Park, waterfalls in tropical paradise
- Climb to the top of a skyscraper and gaze over the city in front of you.
- View a cathedral or grand church. Spectacular architecture to look at includes Notre-Dame in Paris, Basilica de la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, and Lincoln Cathedral.
- Wander through botanical gardens.
- Walk across a bridge. From Brooklyn Bridge in New York City to Tower Bridge in London to Sydney Harbour Bridge, there’s something very exciting about crossing a bridge!
- Walk to the end of Santa Monica pier. Because there's nothing quite like walking past that iconic, glitzy red and yellow Ferris wheel before walking across the sand to Venice Beach
Ready to tick a few of these travel resolutions off your 2017 wish list? Get in touch with your Travel Counsellor to plan your trips!